Speaker of Dr. Ruth Segomotsi Mompati District Municipality, Cllr. Lorato Setlhake was born and bred in a small township of Huhudi in Vryburg in the North West province. She did her primary education at Mokgosi Primary School and continued to John Frylinck Middle School. Cllr. L.V Sethlake ended her schooling at Pule Leeuw Comprehensive Secondary School; she further attended courses at Love Life Center and several development courses.Cllr. L.V Setlhake has always been an active member in politics; she was a leader of the Congress of South African Students (COSAS) at Pule Leeuw Comprehensive Secondary School and the secretary of COSAS in the Bophirima District Municipality (2001-2002). Cllr. L.V Setlhake was elected as the Branch Sectary of the African National Congress in the Ruth Mompati Region (2003). Subsequent to that, she was elected as the member of Regional Executive Committee (REC) and Regional Working Committee (RWC).
After the disbandment of the National and Provincial African National Congress Youth league (ANCYL) structures, she was appointed as Convener of the Dr. Ruth Mompati Region (2013). During the re-establishment of the ANCYL, she was elected as a member of the Provincial Executive Committee and Provincial Working Committee (PWC) in the North West Province (2014). She was then elected to National Executive Committee (NEC) of the ANCYL.
Cllr. L.V Setlhake worked at Naledi Local Municipality (2008-2014), Department Of Social Development (2014-2015) and the Parliamentary Constituency Office as an administrator. Cllr. L.V was elected as a councillor in the Dr. Ruth Segomotsi Mompati District Municipality on the 19th August 2016 where then she was elected as the Speaker of council.
About office of the Speaker
- Preside at meetings of the council
- Performs the duties and exercise the powers delegated to the speaker in terms of Section 59 of the Local Government: Municipal System Act, 200 (Act 32 of 200)
- Ensures that the council meets at least quarterly
- Maintain order during meetings
- Ensures compliance in the council and committees with the Code of conduct set out in Schedule 1 to the Local Government: Municipal System Act, 2000 (Act 32 of 2000)
- Must ensure that council meetings are conducted in accordance the Rules and Orders of the Council
- To ensure the implementation and maintenance of effective resolution tracking
- To ensure oversight over Council Committees
- To ensure effectiveness of ward committees
- Councillor support
- Managing public Participation through ward committees, stakeholders forums, by-laws and enhancing public participation role of the Speaker
Office of the Speaker has 5 Staff members:
Manager Office of the Speake: Ntebogeng Marcia Maswanganyi
Contact: 082 590 9094, Email: email@example.com
Public Participation Coordinators
Tshoganyetso Bareng : 073 261 7388 - firstname.lastname@example.org
Doreen Mariri : 072 928 5483 – email@example.com
Keaoleboga Olifant : 076 787 6263 – firstname.lastname@example.org
Nametsegang Goitsilwe : 079 444 8359